Birthday Countdown

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Afternoon Update

It has been a couple of days since we have updated you on things. It has been a little busy here at the hospital. Some great news is that Collin is now at full feeds and I was able to start trying to nurse him yesterday. He showed great signs (he latched on, had a couple of sucks, etc....) but he was very tired during the first attempt so not too much activity. Jason mentioned that he had 13ml residual left from the prior feeding so he probably was very content and not very hungry at that time. We were thinking he would be hungry because that was the time when he would have been fed and were trying to nurse him before the feeding but with all of that residual, it probably wasn't a true attempt for him. They are telling me to try to nurse him 2-3 times a day. They are holding no expectations at this time. This is just to see what he does with it and if he is ready then he his. If not, we will just keep trying. No pressure. The girls will be on full feeds tomorrow so I will be able to attempt to nurse them tomorrow or Sunday.

On a little lower note, we are needing some prayer for Collin. He is doing fine overall but he is struggling just a little and, as a mom and dad, we want him to be as comfortable as possible and he isn't quite there yet. They had taken him off of the cannula and he was doing fine. Yesterday, however, he was working a little too hard again and they put him back on the cannula this morning. They had him on low oxygen and now he is off the oxygen and just on a flow of air to help him relax. His readings are looking good right now. Yesterday we could tell he was exhausted especially when I tried to nurse him. He was so tired he didn't wake up the whole time I was holding him. He seems to be doing well on the flow of air that he is getting. However, Jason tried to hold him earlier and he didn't do too well. He was struggling and was quite pale so we put him back in his isolet to let him rest. He seemed to be very comfortable after we did that. This is not typical Collin. They are running the same tests that they did before. They will look at his blood count and do a culture to see if he has an infection. They will also do a chest xray. Please pray for little Collin. We just want him to get well. It is hard to see him struggle and also very very hard to leave him at night or at all. Who knows we may stick around at night. We'll see. We will keep you posted on the test results.

Thanks for everything

JKABC

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Mom and Dad. I cannot imagaine how frustrated it might be for you. I know you want your babies home and I am sure they will be alot more comfortable at home also. We all will just keep praying for all 3 of them. They are looking mighty cute, and I am sure they a joy to be around. Hope Collin is not sick. Glad to hear you are attempting to breast feed them now. Everything is in God's timing. It will all work out. God Bless Brenda

Anonymous said...

I am keeping all of you in my thoughts. I'm sure that Collin will be ok. It sounds like overall, they are doing awesome for being as early as they were!

Anonymous said...

My prayer is that baby Collin will overcome this little setback. We know what a little fighter he is. Those lungs will get clearer and stronger each day. Come on little man, we will all be praying for you and love you so much. Girls, Anniston and Bailey I love you too. I am so proud of the terrific job your Mommy and Daddy are doing to take the best care of you three. I love you all so much and thank you for taking time to keep us all informed. Mom

Anonymous said...

Kristy and Jason Hang in there Collin is in Gods Hands, and he will make sure he does just fine..I will say an extra prayer for him today, and the girls continue to be in my prayers as well...Keep your head up high, you have done a great job and have three beautiful babies!!

Love You All....Jeni

Anonymous said...

We will keep all of you in our prayers and we will say a special prayer for Collin to start feeling better and acting like himself! We're so glad they're all making such great progress!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Collin. Mommy just called me to say that you are feeling better. I love you sweet little man. You know what you are doing, we just don't. Keep up the good work and tell Mommy and Daddy how much you love them today. I love you all..Gege

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear Baby Collin is doing better! I am praying and praying and I know God is with each of you and giving Baby Collin, Baby Anniston, and Baby Bailey the strength they need, one breath and one heartbeat at a time. Kristy and Jason, you are doing a wonderful job. Keep the faith!! I love you, all!

Aunt Stephanie